Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Just be you

I was recently talking with a patient, who happens to be a family friend, and I was telling him that when I "grow up" I want to be just like his wife.  She is simply amazing!  Mother of 8. Darling grandmother.  Strong member of our faith.  Happy.  Kind. Healthy.  Fit. . .and on and on. Simply put, she is just a "really good" person in so many ways. 
Now, I know for a fact that this man loves and adores his wife.  He can attest to all these wonderful qualities and many more I am sure.  Yet, rather than agreeing with me and saying, "that is nice of you to say," he said, "Heather, the only person you should try to be like, is yourself."
Honestly, his profound words took me by surprise and I continued to ponder them since   
Rather than always focusing on what I am NOT I need to focus on what I AM.  How do I make "that girl" grow and stretch and be the best Wife, Mother, and Daughter of God "she" can be?  

No comments:

Post a Comment