Monday, December 22, 2014

Whirlwind

I had so many grand plans for today.  You know, the kind where I bake all morning listening to Christmas music and my kids are playing nicely in the back ground not making a mess.  It sounded so wonderful to me. . .then I got out of bed.
It has been raining for like a bazillion years.  Not just gentle sprinkles but hard, get you soaked as you walk to your car, rain.  So, when we woke up and looked out the window I was litterly shocked to see blue sky and the sun shining in.  In that small instant I knew all my grand plans were shot.  There was no way I wanted to stay inside baking nor was there any way I could keep my kiddos inside all day.  It would be torture for all involved if I tried.  Thus, we decided to go for a walk down the road.  It is about a 2 mile walk, Kal started off on his bike but ditched it less that a 200 yards from our house.  Avery started out roller skating but quickly realized that her skates are getting to small so ended up walking most of the way only to end up on the front of our double stroller.  Lincoln was content to ride in the stroller for about half of it but,  then wanted to run the rest of the way.  That would have been just fine by me but she insisted on running down the middle of our road which was unusually busy today.  I also kept thinking it was Saturday not Monday and was so annoyed with all the people out and about driving down our road.  So, again our sweet walk took on a slightly different nature that involved a lot of "loud talking" to "keep up," "stay out of the mud puddles," "stay out of the road," "a car is coming,"  "if you can't keep up you will have to get back in the stroller," " you need to be a good listener."  This was not one of our finest hours needless to say.  

Avery, for the most part, is a great sport and very patient with her little brother and sister.  I am so glad for that and for her!!
Walking in roller skates is so much easier than actually skating. . .who knew?
Would you guess any less?  He was soaked all the way up to mid thigh by the time we got home.
Lincoln just wants to do whatever the other 2 are doing.  They climbed that rock so she MUST do the same.  "By My Self!"

After my afore mentioned blissful morning of baking  and Christmas music listening  Avery and I were to go out for a date to get our nails done and shop for Scott.  A Christmas gift from Avery.  Which, we did and had a great time.  It is amazing how easy and enjoyable 1 seems when you are used to having 3!!!
Our final product, This picture is not a great representation of Avery's Christmas Pride.  Green and Red look great on her cute little fingers.
With our shopping complete we ended up at Doppios for delish hot chocolate.  I love hangin' with this girl.  She is a hoot who doesn't stop talking unless she picks up a book!  Plus, she still likes to hold my hand when we walk anywhere together.  Can I say just how much I LOVE that!!!  Secretly, I hope she will never stop doing that. . .even as an adult I would love to hold hands with this lovely girl!
To end our evening we took the treats we made to our friends around town. It was pretty fun and the kids really got into it.  Lincoln wanted to go up to all the doors so she could say, "Merry Christmas."  Kal just wanted to get out of his car seat and Avery loved playing Santa.  Every year we like to make a variety of treats to put on plates to hand out.  This year our plan was foiled as my oven heating element bit the dust and will only heat up to about 300 degrees.  After failing to successfully make banana bread (completely raw in the center,)  chocolate mint cookies (I had to use the Broil setting to keep the oven warm enough and ended up walking away to help the kids with something and burned the first batch,) and over cooking this peanut butter candy (I claim I was distracted by my kids, not that I am a bad cook,) I gave up on all baking that involved an oven and stuck to the stove top.  Seriously, I was so annoyed because I wanted to eat all those yummy treats plus for all the work I did to get ready I had nothing to show for it. That is what drove me the most crazy!!!  Scott said I should have just used the treats/cookies and called them "Obamacare Cookies,"  a lot went into making them but I had nothing good to show for it.  Perhaps. . ..








No comments:

Post a Comment